Gum Recession is a Preventable Condition
Although gum recession is very common, it is not a foregone conclusion that all people will experience the pain, sensitivity, embarrassment and annoyance of receding gums. There are several oral hygiene techniques recommended by Dr. Paul Snisky and Dr. Stephen Stein in Scarsdale, NY that you can use and tips you should consider to prevent this problem:
- Get regular dental exams and cleanings
- Unless recommended otherwise, plan on scheduling exams and cleanings twice yearly.
- Have your gum disease treated
- Do not ignore symptoms of gum disease, such as chronic bad breath and gums that bleed when brushing or flossing.
- Fix crooked teeth
- Are your teeth not as straight as they should be? Is your bite misaligned? Fixing these issues can minimize the risk of gum recession.
- Make sure your oral hygiene methods are correct
- Did you know you could be brushing your teeth too aggressively or with the wrong type of toothbrush? Find out from Dr. Snisky and Dr. Stein the right way to brush!
- Stop using tobacco products
- Tobacco use has been linked to gum recession, so the faster you quit, the sooner you will improve the health of your mouth.
- Remove any lip, tongue, or cheek piercings
- These can all rub your gums and cause irritation that may lead to gum recession.
Receding Gums Treatment in Scarsdale, NY Is Available
If you already have receding gums, it is not too late to reverse the damage. Dr. Snisky and Dr. Stein have worked with many patients who required receding gums treatment and are available to complete a thorough examination and provide suggestions to repair your gum recession through the latest procedures, like the Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™). Contact our office today to end your gum recession once and for all!
In the meantime, please practice all the oral hygiene recommendations listed above to avoid further recession from occurring.